Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday

It is really crowded here in our little house now with Amber home from college. I could not believe the amount of laundry she had to wash! Keith cleaned out his room and so he had tons of laundry himself. We washed clothes all afternoon yesterday and I still have about 5 loads to go! I am afraid I stayed home from church today to try and get it all finished. It is just about overwhelming! At least we are going through Keith's things and getting out what is too small for him to wear and packing that up to take to goodwill.
Here is a cute picture I took of Keith on Friday. Our cat, Molly, had been laying on the green pillow right beside Keith. But when he laid down on the bed she got on him and laid down! I was sitting at my computer and he told me to look and see. So I had to get my camera and take a picture. She loves the men! When hubby is laying down she will lay on his chest and rub her face against his chin for him to pet her. She will only do that to me if he is working nights and not at home. And she doesn't do it very often then. And I am the one that feeds her! Go figure!
I have to tell you something funny that happened yesterday. I had gotten up late and went to Wal-Mart to get groceries. Sometimes it takes me a while in Wal-Mart if I have to look for other stuff besides groceries and sometimes I run into people I know. So by the time I got home it was after 1pm. It was pouring down rain and you should have seen me standing in the rain putting my groceries in the car and trying to hold onto my umbrella! What a site I was. Anyway, I got home, put away the groceries and then had to hang up some of my laundry that was dry. I had not eaten all day and I was starving. I had planned to go fix something to eat after I got the clothes hung up. Just as I was finishing the hanging I heard my dad in the kitchen. I look at the clock and realize it is 2pm. Now my dad empties out the ice trays every day at 2pm on the dot! I looked at my daughter, Amber, and say ,"darn, your paw is in there getting out ice and I am starving! I was gonna go fix a hot dog!" She says I'll go fix you one. So off she goes to the kitchen. Now my dad lines all the ice trays up in a row across the bar and stove. So Amber figures she will help him out and empty some for him. She picks up two trays and dumps them into the ice holder. In a minute she came running back in the bedroom and said my dad was upset that she had emptied the two trays. She said he told her he could not get all the ice out now because she had emptied out the wrong tray first! Now all the trays look exactly the same! But I guess he has a certain order in which he empties them. He was all in a dither! I went back into the kitchen with her and we were in front of the stove fixing hot dogs. He was all upset cause we were in his way. I tried to explain to him that he had the whole rest of the kitchen but that did not seem to register with him. He then said he had to fix his sandwich and we were in the way. You have to understand that he fixes a sandwich everyday when he gets out the ice to eat at 5pm. He fixes it and puts in the refrigerator till 5pm. I told him it was almost 3 hours before he eats and so I think he can get it made by then. But he wanted to do it right that minute! He always does it at the same time every day. So I tell him he has the whole counter on which to make his sandwich, that we are not in his way. So he sets to work making it and as he is making it he stands there grumbling about us the whole time! Amber and I hurried and made our hot dogs and got out of the kitchen. I told Amber that no matter what I would never be in the kitchen when Daddy was getting out ice again! It totally unnerves him! His dementia seems to get worse every day. It really is sad. Amber said she would start getting out the ice at 1pm so he wouldn't have to worry about it. It only takes us about 5 minutes to do it and it takes him close to 30 minutes. But I told her no, that it is good for him to do it. He doesn't really do anything except sit in his recliner all day so getting out the ice and putting away the dishes at least get him moving a little.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Dementia is such a sad illness for everyone involved, both my mother and my grandmother suffered. But we used to say "you have to laugh or you'll cry", and there is so much to find amusing in their behaviour = as long as they don't realise you're laughing it's okay.

Samantha said...

That is too bad about your dad, I agree that it is good for him to have something to do.

My cat (and dog) adore me TOO MUCH- even when there are 3 other people around, I am the one they come to for attention.