Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Memory Wall Hanging

I decided that my first post to this blog should be a wall hanging that I designed and made to represent a very special memory of my childhood. I hand appliqued, hand embroidered, and hand quilted this wall hanging.

When I was about 8 years old we lived out in the country. Not many cars passed along our road. One day my cousin and I decided we wanted to make some money. So we set up a table beside the road. The only thing we could find to sell were crackers and pecans! We only had one customer that day and that was my oldest brother, Keith (the thin boy). My cousin (the blonde) and me (the brunette) were so excited.

My brother was 16 years old at the time and so very sweet. Not only did he buy our crackers and pecans, but he took us up the road to this little store that was there to buy candy with our money. We rode there in the old blue truck.

My brother died at the age of 24 when I was just 16. He was such a kind and loving person and I miss him terribly.

The tree in the picture represents a Chinaberry tree that was by our house that we loved to play in and have Chinaberry fights by throwing the little hard green berries at each other. Boy, did they hurt!!

The little red flowers along the side of the road are clover. There really was no clover on our road, but I put it there in memory of another story. My mama loved to tell the story of how she was over at my aunts house when we all arrived home from school on the bus. My two girl cousins were all excited and telling my mama and aunt that there was strawberries along side the road and they needed to hurry up and go pick them. My mama knew exactly where they were talking about and told them that it was not strawberries, but clover! My cousins kept insisting it was strawberries and so finally we all got into the car and Mama took us to where they were at so she could show my cousins it really was clover! That clover still grows in the same spot and everytime I pass there when it is in bloom I remember this story.



Close up of my cousin, me, and my brother, Keith.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Hi Diane! Thank you so much for visiting my blog - I always love to see someone new! And welcome to the exciting world of blogging! I am so happy to be your very first comment!

I read your stories about your memory quilt and loved them. Especially about your brother who was your one customer - what a good big brother he was! Just a lovely quilt with some great memories:)

allie aller said...

This is so utterly sweet and meaningful. What blessed memories!
Thanks so much for linking me here....
I know we'll meet our brothers in heaven..
;-) Allie